Birth: 7 August 1875
Place or Registered Place of Birth: Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland
Baptism: Not Known
Place of Baptism: Not Known
Death: 6 March 1938 - Aged 62
Place or Registered Place of Death: Peffermill House, Craigmillar, Midlothian, Scotland
Father: Sir James Balfour-Paul, K.C.V.O., (1846-1931)
Mother: Helen Margaret Forman (1851-1929)
Spouse(s): Jane Prichard Montgomerie-Fleming
Date of Marriage: 1905 - Circa
Place or Registered Place of Marriage: Not Known
Barbara Mackintosh Balfour-Paul (1910-1968)
Grizel Graeme Balfour-Paul (-)
Jean Balfour-Paul (-)
It would seem that a date of death of 03/06/1938 can be interpreted as 3 June or 6 March!!
Dictionary of Scottish Architects
Arthur Forman Balfour Paul was invested as a Fellow, Royal Institute of British Architects (F.R.I.B.A.). He was decorated with the award of Military Cross (M.C.). He lived at Peffermill, Craigmillar, Midlothian, Scotland.
Arthur Forman Balfour Paul ('Baffy' to his friends and to his staff) was born in Edinburgh on 7 August 1875, the son of Sir James Balfour Paul, Lyon King of Arms. He was educated at Edinburgh Academy from 1885 to 1892 and was articled to Sir Robert Rowand Anderson from 1892 to 1896, remaining as a draughtsman until 1897 and studying at the School of Applied Art under Frank Worthington Simon and Stewart Henbest Capper. His travels in these early years included a short sketching tour in Belgium and Holland in 1895 and a three-month tour of England in 1897. In 1898 he obtained a place in John Belcher's office in London, staying there for a year and studying at the LCC School of Art before returning to Edinburgh to commence practice on his own account from home at 30 Heriot Row. Following the dissolution of the Anderson, Simon & Crawford partnership Sir Rowand Anderson invited him to return to his practice as partner in 1903. Paul joined the Edinburgh Architectural Association in the same year and it was on the recommendation of that association and of its President, James Bow Dunn, that he was admitted LRIBA in the mass intake of 20 July 1911.
The partnership was interrupted by the First World War. Paul was a keen territorial who had joined the London Scottish as a piper when with Belcher. He was commissioned as a major in the Royal Engineers and served with distinction in France, being awarded the MC and the Croix de Guerre with Gold Star. Anderson continued the practice, albeit in failing health, with some help from Alexander Lorne Campbell.
Paul resumed partnership in 1919 and became sole partner, Anderson having finally retired: Lorne Campbell was Anderson's executor and he, not Paul, as has been stated, designed the memorial cottage to Lady Anderson at Colinton. Crucially for the practice Paul retained the feuing of the Fettes Trust and Braid estates, providing a flow of business which saw it through a lean period. In 1931 Paul, whose office was managed by John McClure Anderson, offered his former assistant William Kininmonth a room in his office as he could not afford to re-employ him on his return from Lutyens's office. It had only a drawings board and a telephone, but it enabled Kininmonth to take into partnership his friend Basil Urwin Spence, recently returned from Lutyens's office in London. Supplemented by presentation work for other practices and by teaching at Edinburgh College of Art the partnership of Kininmonth & Spence had some success. In 1934 Paul offered Kininmonth a partnership but Kininmonth felt that he had to decline unless Spence was taken into partnership as well. Paul accepted this proposal, the recovery of the practice enabling them to take on as an assistant Alan Reiach, previously of Lorimer and Matthews' office. The name of the practice then became became Rowand Anderson & Paul & Partners and remained so until 1946 when Spence left to set up his own practice.
Paul was active in professional matters, serving on the RIBA Council after his election as FRIBA in 1933, for which he was proposed by John Begg, James Alexander Arnott and John Wilson. He was President of the Edinburgh Architectural Association 1934-36, and was President elect of the RIAS when he died on 3 June 1938, leaving a widow Jane Prichard Montgomerie Fleming. In his later years he had moved from his original marital home at 32 Ormidale Terrace to Peffermill House, Craigmillar. His estate amounted to £24,365 18s 10d.
Private and Business Addresses:
30, Heriot Row, Edinburgh, Scotland Private/business 1899(?)
21, St Andrew Square, Edinburgh, Scotland Business c. 1899 c. 1903
16, Rutland Square, Edinburgh, Scotland Business c. 1903 1938 In partnership with R R Anderson
32, Ormidale Terrace, Edinburgh, Scotland Private c. 1907 c. 1926
Peffermill House, Craigmillar, Edinburgh, Scotland Private 1933 1938
The following individuals or organisations employed or trained this architect:
Name Date from Date to Position Notes
Wardrop & Anderson 1892 1896 Apprentice
Wardrop & Anderson 1896 1897 Draughtsman
John Belcher 1898 1899 Draughtsman
Rowand Anderson & Paul 1903 1934 Partner Firm then became Rowand Anderson, Paul & Partners
Rowand Anderson, Paul & Partners 1934 1938 Partner
Sir James Balfour-Paul, the son of Rev. John Paul (1796-1873) and Margaret Balfour (1807-1860), was born at Edinburgh, Midlothian in Scotland on 16 November 1846 and was baptised at Saint Cuthberts in Edinburgh on 29 December of that year. James died at Edinburgh on 15 September 1931, aged 84, and was buried at Dean Cemetery in Edinburgh on 18 September.
Helen Margaret Forman, the daughter of John Nairne Forman, W.S. of Staffa (1806-1884) and Jean (Jane) Mitchell (1809-1881), was born at Edinburgh on 21 February 1851 and was baptised there on 18 April of that year. Helen died on 20 December 1929, aged 78. John Nairne Forman and Jean Mitchell were married at Edinburgh on 16 October 1835.
James Balfour-Paul and Helen Margaret Forman were married at Edinburgh on 18 July 1872.
Sir James Balfour Paul, KCVO (16 November 1846 – 15 September 1931) was the Lord Lyon King of Arms, the officer responsible for heraldry in Scotland, from 1890 until the end of 1926.
Sir James was the second son of the Rev. John Paul by his spouse Margaret Balfour, and was admitted an advocate in 1870. Thereafter he was Registrar of Friendly Societies (1879–1890), Treasurer of the Faculty of Advocates (1883–1902), appointed Lord Lyon King of Arms in 1890, and made a Knight Bachelor in 1900 and KCVO in 1926.
He was also admitted an Esquire of the Order of St. John of Jerusalem, elected a Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland, and was a member of the Royal Societies and University (Edinburgh) Clubs. He resided at 30 Heriot Row, Edinburgh.
Sir James married, in 1872, Helen Margaret (d. December 20, 1929), daughter of John Nairne Forman of Staffa, WS. They had four children, three sons (including John William Balfour Paul) and a daughter, one of whom, Arthur Forman Balfour Paul, became an architect and partner of Robert Rowand Anderson.
The Times - Wednesday September 16, 1931, Issue 45929, Pg. 17; Col. B
SIR JAMES BALFOUR PAUL
SCOTTISH HERALD AND ANTIQUARY
We regret to announce that Sir James Balfour Paul, Lyon-King-of-Arms from 1890 to the end of 1926, died yesterday in Edinburgh at the age of 84.
He was a man of genial manners and fine presence, and displayed to advantage on State occasions, the magnificent costume of an office in which he was the lineal successor of Sir David Lyndsay of the Mount, 1490-1555. In his quarters at the Register House he was ever courteously at the service of all genuine investigators into historical and antiquarian documents, while his please house in Heriot-row was one of the last remaining rallying-grounds of literary society in Edinburgh. He was an ardent devotee of the national game of curling.
Born in Edinburgh on November 16, 1846, he was the second son of the Rev. John Paul, D.D., and Margaret, eldest daughter of James Balfour of Pilrig. His grandmother, the daughter of a marriage celebrated in 1749, was daughter of the Rev. Sir William Moncreiff. the seventh baronet of the creation of 1626. Educated at the High School and University of Edinburgh, he was called to the Scottish Bar in 1870, edited the Journal of Jurisprudence from 1875-1887, and was Registrar of Friendly Societies for Scotland from 1879 to 1890. He was Fellow of the Royal Society of Antiquaries of Scotland, and he received the degree of LL.D. from Edinburgh University in 1908. In 1900, he was knighted, became C.V.O. in 1911 and K.C.V.O in 1926, was also Secretary of the Order of the Thistle and an Esquire and afterwards Commander of the Order of the Hospital of St. John of Jerusalem.
Sir James's publications included a "History of the Royal Company of Archer," 1875; a "Handbook to the Parliament House," 1884; an "Ordinary of Scottish Arms," 1893; "Memoir and Remains of John M. Gray," the gifted art critic and first Curator of the Scottish National Portrait Gallery, two volumes, 1895; "Heraldry in Relation to Scottish History and Art," 1900; besides many contributions to Chamber's Journal and other periodicals, on history and antiquities. His principal literary work, however, lay in the department of editing, for which his wide knowledge and scrupulous care especially fitted him, and included the Record Series of "Registrum Magni Sigilli," 1882-3; the "Accounts of the Lord Treasurer of Scotland," Vols. II.-XI., 1900-1916; Douglas's 'Scots Peerage," Vol I., 1904, with successive volumes up to Vol. IX., which appeared in 1914; and also an edition for the Scottish History Society of the "Diary of the Rev. George Ridpath, Minister of Stichill," whose "Border History of England and Scotland" was published posthumously in 1776.
During his long reign as the King of Arms having jurisdiction over Scotland, the Lord Lyon very greatly enhanced the status of Armoury in that kingdom, and succeeded in persuading innumerable cadets of armorial families to comply with provisions of the Scots law anent matriculation. He adopted a most ingenious scheme whereby differences may be uniformly graduated throughout any number of branches of a family in successive generations. With the assistance of Mr. Graham Johnston, the Herald Painter to his Court, and other heraldic artists, he succeeded in infusing a new vigour into the art of his armorial grants and strengthened the symbolical and historical value of the achievements. Sir James's reign, which ended with his abdication from the heraldic throne of the Lyon King, will long be celebrated for a great and remarkable renascence of Scottish heraldry. He tried two very interesting heraldic cases in his Court, Sir Colin Macrae's claim for supporters as Chief of the Clan Macrae, which was opposed by Colonel Macrae-Gilstrap, and the action brought against Mrs. Fraser Mackenzie by Colonel Stewart-Mackenzie, afterwards Lord Seaforth, in connexion with the bearing of supporters in right of her father. In the latter the Lyon's ruling was upheld on appeal by the House of Lords.
Sir James Balfour Paul married in 1872 Helen, daughter of Mr. John Nairne Forman, W.S. of Staffa, by whom he had three sons and one daughter. Of these the eldest, Cuthbert, predecease his father in 1926, Lady Paul died in 1929.
The funeral service will be at St. Cuthbert's parish church, Edinburgh, on Friday and afterwards to Dean Cemetery.
The children of James Balfour-Paul and Helen Margaret Forman were:
John William Balfour-Paul (1873-1957)
Arthur Forman Balfour-Paul (1875-1938)
Dr. Cuthbert Balfour-Paul (1876-1926) - See Below
Millicent Jane Balfour-Paul (1880-)
The Times, October 26, 1926
The death occurred in Amsterdam yesterday of Dr. Cuthbert Balfour Paul, F.R.C.S., of Carlisle, from acute erysipelas, at the age of 49. He was a well-known surgeon in the North of England and the South of Scotland. The son of Sir James Balfour Paul, the retiring Lyon King of Arms, he was educated at Edinburgh Academy and University. He was an honorary surgeon of the Cumberland Infirmary and was formerly house surgeon at Edinburgh Infirmary to Mr. MacGillivray and consulting surgeon to the institution. He was also house surgeon to Sir Harold Stiles at Edinburgh Children's Hospital and surgeon at Chalmers Hospital, Edinburgh. A fortnight ago he went with a party of doctors to study Dutch hospitals.
Arthur Forman Balfour-Paul